Monday, May 2, 2011

We are having a.....

BOY!!!








I thought for sure that it was going to be a girl. Kris knew it was going to be a boy. I was surprised. I was so sure that I agreed to his name if it was a boy if he would agree to my name if it was a girl. I don't like his boy name. It is weird. In a cute weird way. My girl name was Anne. When the ultra-sound tech was doing her job she spent a lot of time on the heart. I kept telling her..."it doesn't look right to me". Knowing that she could not discuss anything with me. Well turns out that there was a bright spot on the heart....it is called a left ventricular echognic focus. The doc says that nothing is wrong with the heart. BUT that it is a genetic marker for Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18. Do you know anything about genetic markers? Well I didn't. It doesn't mean that my baby will have it, just increased my chances from 1 in 750 to 3 in 750. Well, that and my age add to the increase risk. Am I old???? I didn't think so, but I guess I am old enough to have it increase the risk. With it being a 3 in 750 chance it is still less than a 1% chance. The next test to figure anything out would be an amnio. Not interested. My chances of having a miscarriage are higher doing that than having any issues with the baby. I didn't have anything else bring up red flags. I also had the triple screen blood test and everything came back normal. So one "soft" marker, huh? Does the chance of having a child with either one of these conditions scare me? Oh yeah.... Trisomy 18 is very scary. VERY VERY SCARY... down syndrome...not so much. We are not guaranteed anything in life. Just one more bump in the road to my blessing. Oh and one more thing...this little guy has Drew's ears!

8 comments:

Cammy Patton said...

How exciting to be having another boy! Congrats! I hope everything turns out perfectly!

the Jungsts and their youngsters said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear the name, too! I hope everything is good with the baby and it definitely sounds promising with what they've told you. Imogen had a marker for Trisomy 18 specifically and it was called a chorroid plexus cyst (brain related but don't think I spelled it right). We elected not to do the amnio for the same reasons. My thoughts are with you. Congrats!!!

Kelli said...

YAY for another boy! How exciting, can't wait to find out his name! Everything sounds promising, I wouldn't do the amnio either (for the same reason you stated) Too big of a risk right now. Praying for a healthy baby!

Kimra Bham said...

Yay for another boy!! I think you'll have fun having two the same gender close together :) We'll be praying that all is well (and I'm sure it is! :)

Stephanie Williams said...

Woo hoo for a boy!!! Can't wait to hear the name!!!

amber said...

Congrats! And I hope everything goes well. :)

Kim L said...

That is awesome Ranisa! It is a season for boys! What is this name you agreed too?

Julie said...

Congrats again! I am excited for you. i agree with Kimra, it's great having 2 of the same gender next to each other in age. They will play great together! best wishes!