Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School! (super long blog)

Today was the first day of school for Elaine and Drew. So happy! They both were very excited, and I really am happy to get back a normal schedule.... below are a few pics. The end of last week and the beginning of this week was crazy. We suddenly realized that Elaine had grown out and Drew had grown up, and neither one of them really had any shorts that fit. So I had to do some mad shopping-I know every knows that I normally think that is a great thing but I just hurt so bad right now that the idea of walking from the parking lot to the mall entrance seems overwhelming not to mention each of the different stores and then trying clothes on kids, and pushing the double stroller around so that 2 of 3 are at least strapped in. I have been getting really car sick so that threw out actually driving up to the outlet mall. Okay enough of me complaining, last Friday I got the computer and did some online shopping! What did I do before the Internet? I ended up finding a few outfits for each of them on line, and still ended up having to go to the mall. Who knew that all the summer clothes goes on sale in August and you have to pick through things just to find the right sizes!!! Okay, okay being the shopper that I am I really did know that but it didn't make it any less annoying. I am still in pain from my shopping trip on Monday-but I got it done!!!! YAY!
Drew right before heading out.

Elaine right before heading out.

Izzy had to be involved so here is all three of them.


They have so much stuff to take on the first day that I wanted to get a picture of Drew with backpack-how he didn't fall over backwards-I have no idea.

I had the kids sit down next to all the stuff that I had to take with them. There are bags of things that wouldn't fit into the backpacks. When I was younger my mom always took me to school on the first day of the year. I loved it! So I have decided to keep that thing going with my kids. Not that they could even get on the bus and carry all of there stuff.


Elaine at her desk....I loved the crossed eyes!

Drew sitting as his table. I was so excited when I realized that he was using his left hand! I really want one lefty. I know that most people know what hand a child is going to use by the time that they are this age, but Drew has been switching back and forth, and we are letting him decide what feels right, but I really really want at least one lefty!

This is Drew and Karina. She was in his preschool class and they are the only two that moved into kindergarten together. They have a great friendship-I think that she has a crush on him and I have been trying to figure out if the feeling is mutual, but he doesn't say much. They used to ride the same bus and would always sit next to each other and he seems to be her security blanket when she is unsure about things. So neat-she was adopted from Russia and looks just like adoptive mother. They first time that I met her mom I just new that Mary was Karina's mom, just by looking and I was shocked when I found out that she was adopted! Amazing how those things end up working out!


With it being Drew's first day of Kindergartner and with me being pregnant I thought for sure that I would get way emotional over it all. I was teary eyed when we walked into the class room and Kris was fine. Then we left the class room I was okay and Kris was having his moment. We (as parents) got a treat bag....I didn't read the note until we had a "meet & great" the PSA in the school library...then I took a look and got teary eyed again! In the bag was an apple and a note that said:

"An Apple for the teacher

Is really nothing new

Except when you remember

Parents are teachers too."

Isn't that cute!!!! BUT the note on the outside is what really got me....:

The First Day

"I gave you a wink and bright smile

As you entered my room today.

For I know how hard it is to leave

And know your child must stay.

You've been with him for five years now

And have been a loving guide,

But now, alas, the time has come

To leave him at my side.

Just know that as you drive away

And tears down your cheeks may flow

I'll love him as I would my own

And help him learn and grow.

For as a parent, I too know

How quickly the years do pass

And years ago, it was my turn

To take my baby to class.

So please do put your mind at ease

And cry those tears no more

For I will love him and take him in

When you leave him at my door."

I am sure that Kris didn't notice, but when I read that-it was so hard to keep in. I kept looking around to see if any of the other parents were about to let loose. Only one....and she was a back corner-I didn't want to join.

Drew is home now and has had quite the eventful day....I am guessing. We got a letter in the mail from the bus company stating that he would dropped off at the driveway at approximately 12:24. I was out waiting for him at 12:20, so excited to hear how his first day when. When I still didn't see the bus at 12:40 I decided not be that parent that freaks out....and wait until 12:45 to call the bus company and see what was going on. So 12:45 comes and goes and I call trying to make it a laughable situation, but I was kind of freaking out. Come to find out the county is repaving a road today (of all days) and that all the buses are running a bit late, but she was going to call the bus driver just to make sure that everything was okay. So I put on hold and she come back to explain that the bus driver had already been by but he didn't get off, but when she called him name after the phone call he popped up and answered.....he had been sleeping! I think I was out there early enough to catch him but I did step inside for a minute to go to the bathroom and left Izzy in charge of looking for the bus out the window.....maybe I a shouldn't trust a 3 year old! Or hold it? At the same time, knowing that this is the first day of school and he is in Kindergarden you would think that the driver would have been a bit more watchful. I had to explain that he had some delays and probley didn't get it. She wants me to make sure that he sits in the front-I guess I will be sending an note to the teacher.....I am not thinking that he is not going to remember it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am crying with you, I feel that way every year. This year with Heaven starting high school, and Nina in 4th grade, I just feel so much closer to no children in my home...

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

yay, the first day! I'm glad it all worked out.
shopping can be so painful sometimes. you're getting close to having that baby!

Baby Jane said...

elaine is sooo tall! goodness. all of your kids are so beautiful.

and haha yeah...i think you do know who im talking about. if you're thinking omar you're right.

he's great. :) haha.

how are you?! when is your baby due?

Tiffany J said...

Ahh...tears came to my eyes too! That was sweet of the teacher. Funny that he fell asleep on the bus. Good thing you called, I guess.

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

oh wow! they are growing up too fast! I don't know if I can handle the whole bus hting. i am trying not to be a spaz, but Evan has to go on a highway to his designated school from our place and that scares me! My baby going 110 Km with no seatbelt with someone else driving. Yikes! I'm one of 'those' moms! LOL