Friday, November 14, 2008

sleeping stupor

This is the straight jacket, or so my mom named it. Kris calls it the angel blanket because when you undo it, there are flaps that go out like angel wings....it is really sleep wrap blanket. It is supposed to keep them all wrapped up tight and they sleep better. Evan has been sleeping in this blanket since the night that he came home from the hospital. I think it works, Kris thinks that it is pointless. So last night I decide to try the night without the straight jacket. Anyone that know me well knows that I don't do well when I wake up at night. It is like I am in this sleepy stupor....kind of like a drunk stupor but just because I was sleeping. So I mange to nurse and change the babies diapers at night.....I just get it done sometimes not even remembering that I have done it. He took a bit to get to sleep, he seems to know that the straight jacket means that it is bedtime. He woke up at 1ish and then again sometime in the 3 o'clock hour. When he was done nursing and asleep I tried to put him in the cradle....big mistake....he woke up and thought that it was social hour! Well not even hour....more like social night! He was still up after 6 am.....I was so tired I couldn't think straight....finally it dawned on me that he probably needed a diaper change. I had to move the straight jacket to do it and that gave me another idea.....changed his diaper, wrapped him up and off to sleep he went. I will continue to use the straight jacket. I really can't believe that the blanket and diaper change were all that it took......and that it took all those hours to come up with it. I really don't understand how that mothers that work can go back to work after 6 weeks, that is about the time that we are so sleep deprived that we can't see straight let along figure out to shower and be out the door at a reasonable hour in the morning.

Evan is 1 month old today! Wow time flies....it feels like he has always been here.....I don't even really recall what life was like without him....he just fits it so well.

6 comments:

Tiffany J said...

See! They do like to be swaddled!! :0) I still can't believe it took me 3 kids to figure it out.

the Jungsts and their youngsters said...

I love those gosh darn things! Seriously, who'dve thunk it, a sleeping cue! How ingenius! And now you know. Sleep is EVERYTHING with kids. You appreciate every minute you get because you just can't take it for granted anymore and you're certainly right about the six weeks part and sleep deprivation. They should make some stipulation that a mom doesn't have to go back to work until the baby sleeps through the night, at least! :) If only.... not that I'm one of those moms at this point.

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

I'm glad you like the swaddling blanket! I have one too, and I was wondering if they worked or if babies liked them. maybe I should get a few more...:)

Meg said...

Can I have your home address so I can add you to my Christmas Card List? Pretty please!
Here's my email address:
westwoodfive@msn.com
Thanks,
Meg

Anonymous said...

You know it's so funny to me, 50 years ago it was a non-issue, it was swaddle, period. The tighter the better! Now it's don't swaddle, do swaddle, lay them on their side, lay them on their back, lay them on their front, don't do these things... (sigh)

I think they prefer to be swaddled for the same reasons it's been recommended for hundreds of years. The womb is tight, secure, and warm, the swaddling blanket re-creates that feeling and makes them feel safe and secure so they sleep better and mom sleeps better!!

Swaddle away my dear! :o) And plus, how cute is he in that swaddle?!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

I am the biggest believer in swaddling intensly! I swaddle my kids(pin them down) until they go into a toddler bed! It's our cue. They know it's bedtime when. Evan use to bring me his blanket, lay it out, and lie down crying (as if to say please put me to bed) the wrapping works!

He is soooo sweet!