Thursday, September 18, 2008

It was the drugs.....

I feel like such a bad mom. Tuesday night....in the middle of the night I heard this loud beep. I really didn't think too much of it.....I actually thought that it sounded like the smoke alarm...but just a single beep not a series of beeps...in my mind the battery was low on that particular alarm and would need to be changed in the morning. Seriously I didn't think anything of it-when alarms go off they really go off, over and over and over again not just one beep. Maybe because I was so drugged. I kept going off through out the night, and the time between it sounding was getting shorter in length.....I am blaming it on the drugs.....I was not thinking straight.....really what else could it be? I really wasn't going to get the step ladder, find a battery and change it in the middle of the night. Kris gets home in the morning and wakes me up by saying "I think we might need to get out of the house!" "What for?" is the only thing that I could think. The house was kind of foggy looking, and it wasn't the smoke alarm that was beeping single beeps it was the carbon dioxide(or is it monoxide?-I get them mixed up) detector that was beeping. This was the bad mom moment for me. Kris took care of things....he changes the battery and says that it is okay. It was only beeping because the battery was running low. I felt so low......here the detector thing was going off and I was making excuses for it instead of checking....I am so glad that it really turned out not be a big deal.....I would have been just crushed if it really had been a real issue. AND we are guessing that foggy house was caused by the humidifier I have been running to help me sleep at night with the head cold thing that I have going on top of everything else. I did mention that I was drugged above. I love codeine. The doc gave me this cough syrup with codeine in it, and the instructions say to take it every six hours or as needed, so I only take one dose right before bed. I have actually been able to sleep. At the beginning of the week I only was getting about 3 hours of sleep each night, and that is not a consecutive 3 hours just a total of 3 hours. Between getting up to pee, kids coming into my bed because they weren't feeling well either or not being able to sleep because of the head cold. The first night I took this cough syrup I slept....and it was wonderful. Ever take a nap and sleep too long and wake up feeling worse than what you did before you went to take a nap....that is me.....I do wake up feeling drugged and not completely with it. It wears off after about 15-20 minutes then I really do feel much better....rested.

Update....
After getting some email comments and rereading the above post.....I am not overdrugging! I just think a little helps A LOT! Didn't mean to make is sound like I was so drugged I could only sleep.... I am normally so out of it when I wake up anyhow that a little codeine just made me that much more groggy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL... I am so glad everything turned out fine... I laugh as it reminds me of when Heaven was almost 2... I was put on sleeping pills, and she cut my hair off...

Took the scissors from the top of the fridge, and chopped half of the one side. I was SO mad I had to lock myself in the bathroom for a little while...

=)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh I have so many of those moments I've lost track. We didn't have a carbon monoxide detector in our house that just burned down cuz we had no gas so your post actually just reminded me we need to have one in the rental!!

Right now I am on serious drugs to sleep or I have nightmares of a scene I wasn't even at. Today I had to take a couple, but since early after the fire I haven't had to take more than one at bedtime :)

I can't take codeine but when I'm sick they give me cough syrup with Vicodin and I sleep like the dead!

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

I think I've had that cough syrup a few times. I love being able to sleep when I'm sick, even when it's drug-induced.:)

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

Glad you found a way to sleep. ia alwasy a marter when i am preg. I don't go to the doctor because I figure there is nothing good they can give me anyways! I'll have to remember that codeine is great!

Glad it wsn't a real emergency.

Oh and Terra above... I love that her kid cut off her hair!! that's unreal! You musthave freaked out. I am totally laughing here! My mom goes on muscel relaxers or sleeping pills and is so out that one of the grandkids could ottally do that to her and the visionof it is just got me rolling on the floor laughing!!.... that sounds so evil of me!