Thursday, May 29, 2008

I really need to remember the camera

I was just finishing up Lasagna and Elaine came into the kitchen....she had put on her own make-up. I don't even know that I can describe how she looked. Dark purple eye shadow from lash-line to brow. It wasn't really dark when I wore it, but on her it looked like the kind that would be the dark purple - the kind that you would have used as an accent color or only on the lash line.....I don't even remember it looking that dark in the package. I didn't have any old blush to give them to play with so she used bronzing powder for the blush....they were some tan looking checks! She is a natural pale girl and she she had some spanish cheeks. Next came the bright BRIGHT pink lips. Done perfectly. As a matter of fact everything was placed perfect....but heart just broke at what she said next......"Mom, now do I look pretty enough for the missionaries?" We are having the Elders from church over for dinner tonight. How do explain to a seven year old that you do not need to like a Broadway Star to be pretty. I grabbed a couple of wipes and took her in the bathroom and explained that the best way for a seven year old to show how pretty she can be is to let us see what color her cheeks really are, and what shade of pretty pink her lips are without lipstick and whatever else I could think of. Then I took all the makeup off from one side of her face and talked about how pretty each thing was compared to the other side because we could see it and with all of that makeup on we couldn't see it before. When we were done we had some more meaningful conversation and as I sit here I wonder if it sank in? I sure hope so.

As I was done with Elaine I went into the kitchen to put dinner in the oven. Izzy was standing at the counter on a folding chair with her head down and I noticed she has Parmesan cheese all over the upper left side of her shirt. I asked her "Izzy what are you eating?" and she pointed to the bottle of Parmesan cheese as she lifted her head. THEN I saw the huge clown smile across her face made from cheese and her puffy chipmunk checks full of cheese and she also had cheese in her hair-both sides. I think she must have pulled the side of the can that doesn't have just the holes open and dumped as much as she could into her mouth! Cheese all over her, the chair, and the floor. I can't imagine that tasting good? Now that I have dinner is in the oven both of the girls are cleaned up and the kitchen has been swept I better go make the salad! I am sure that I will find another mess when I go back into the other room!

3 comments:

Baby Jane said...

haha go figure with izzy.

ireally like what you told elaine, though. thats really important. but my oh my...you should just be happy its for the missionaries. haha just wait...

missionaries get cuter and cuter these days...have you noticed?

haha

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

You're such a good Mom!!

The mess thing I totally understand. They just go from one thng to the next somedays!

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

lasagna sounds so good...:)